Saturday 6 March 2010

Over the first hurdle

Before any International racing can take place there is always the worrying matter of getting there in the first place.



Bikes have to be packed, gear has to be checked and double checked, you have to remember to smile extra nice at whoever is checking you in in the hope that they didn't see you struggling to lift an overweight bike bag..

Well the first hurdle is over and I'm in Kathmandu.




The journey was pretty uneventful... a mad dash around Nottingham to get Col some basic immunisation then a stress free flight and we are here.

The flight offered time to reflect on how I didn't do the planned dieting I said I would after Arrowhead and the lack of callouses on my hands indicate that maybe I haven't been able to get the miles on the bike that I would have liked but all that means is I'll have to work that little bit harder but I'm quietly confident I can suffer through and get a finish... may even enjoy some riding on the way.

One thing I know for sure is I will be limiting my time riding a bike on the streets of Kathmandu... driving here is manic at best and lanes and rules are seemingly non existent... self preservation will be the order of the day.




Food is good at the Kathmandu Guesthouse so plan is to eat and drink up for the relentless climbing in the forthcoming week.





Bike building and Monkey Temple tomorrow:)

1 comment:

Robert said...

You look pretty BUFF to me fella :)

Looks amazing.